My recent trip to Portland, Ore., to visit with my daughter included some great places she picked out for us to eat. Knowing that I grew up in Coney Isle, she decided to take me to a Portland classic locale — Nick'due south Famous Coney Island Food & Cocktails.

IMG_2867Portland is a funky boondocks, no doubt about that, and Nick's fits right into its artsy cum blue-collar waterfront vibe. The bar has been on the same street for 85 years, nigh of those in the aforementioned spot and it looks it with its quondam-fashion bar and stools on one side and its dark interior. It reminded me of a place that could accept been along the Brooklyn waterfront circa 1950.

We were at that place for the hot dogs and I was not disappointed — nor was my vegetarian girl who tried their veggie canis familiaris offer. Notation, of course, that hot dogs are not on my usual depression-fat, depression-common salt nutrition.

Just this was a holiday treat, much as Nathan's is when I'thousand in NYC. Plus, oddly plenty I was but getting over a bout of food poisoning the calendar week before I visited that caused me to drop nine pounds in seven days, so I thought a food splurge was in order.

The meat hot dog I got is made for the identify, a bartender there told me, and is a combination of beef and pork with a natural casing.

My old-fashioned dog at Nick's Coney Island
My old-fashioned dog at Nick's Coney Island

It was plumper than many dogs and had bully oral cavity feel while I as chewing it. Just the hot canis familiaris is just the starting time at Nick'south. Its specialty is its Coney Sauce, a mixture of ground beef and spices with a slightly taco-esque flavoring.

I ordered the Old-fashioned Domestic dog, classic guy that I am, which was a hot dog covered with cole slaw and the Coney sauce, and of form mustard. The cole slaw was a nice light complement to the Coney sauce which was a beefiness heavy simply tasty. I added more mustard to what it came with, I can never get enough mustard.

Nick's has the vibe of a waterfront dive circa 1950. I loved it.
Nick's has the vibe of a waterfront swoop circa 1950. I loved it.

To not go completely off my diet, I got a side salad rather than fries equally my side with a vinaigrette dressing.

As I mentioned, my daughter ordered the veggie Coney, which the carte says is "a one of a kind tofurkey kielbasa with a vegan version of our Coney sauce."I have no idea what could take been in the veggie version of the Coney sauce, but my girl gave information technology a thumbs up.

Nick;southward was an out-and-out blast to go to. The bartender was from New Bailiwick of jersey and was able to have an in-depth chat with me on the differences between Nathan's hot dogs, archetype Chicago Vienna Beef hot dogs and Nick'due south hot dog. That alone was worth going.

I loved this sign in the men's room, how often do I see signs with my name on them?
I loved this sign in the men's room, how often exercise I see signs with my name on them?

Side by side time you lot're in Portland, give Nick'southward a visit, or 2.

John